Given the great resignation, people increasingly want to work at places that not only offer flexibility but also for a company whose values align with their own. Tech companies are facing a shortage of qualified workers, and have upped the ante with a host of new benefits to entice top talent.
Tech companies are well known for their nontraditional perks of employment, like ping pong tables, free food, and modern offices. They’re also known for generous salaries and equity compensation, but what are some unique benefits beyond that?
Here are some tech companies to work at if you value…
If traveling and creating experiences with family/friends is a significant priority for you, then finding companies that offer travel perks may be best for you.
- Google gives its employees the option to take a sabbatical, work remotely, and covers travel insurance for personal trips.
- Airbnb offers a travel stipend of $2,000 per year along with a generous vacation policy.
- REI offers their employees 30% off their trip if they book with REI Adventures.
- MOZ encourages its employees to go on vacation by covering vacation costs of up to $3,000 annually.
Starting a family
If you’re planning on starting a family, taking time off to recover and bond with your new child is essential. While the government only requires companies with 50 or more employees to offer 12 weeks of unpaid family leave, tech companies are known to go above and beyond those limits.
- Netflix offers the longest paid family leave (52 weeks) out of all the tech companies. You’ll have to be an employee for 12 months in order to take advantage of this.
- Spotify and Adobe offer 26 weeks of paid parental leave.
- Google, Amazon, and Microsoft each offer 20 weeks of paid parental leave.
- Twitter offers breast milk shipping. If you’re traveling for work and need to ship milk back home, Twitter’s got you!
- Both Google and Facebook offer an on-site clinic & mother’s room, and free on-site laundry.
- Facebook gives its employees a $4,000 baby bonus for each new child and a $3,000 reimbursement for child care.
- Google will reimburse you up to $40,000 of surrogacy fees; one of the highest amounts compared to other companies.
Want to see what other tech companies are offering? Check out this list of parental leave in tech. Other common benefits include fertility support, such as egg freezing, adoption assistance, and surrogacy fee reimbursement.
Carrying student loan debt can feel like a huge financial burden and may be stopping you from achieving your other goals. Luckily, it’s becoming more common for employers to offer student loan assistance to retain talent.
- Google will help you with student loans by matching 100% of contributions up to $2,500 per year. The amount will be applied to the principal balance, making an even more significant dent in the loans.
- Doma offers an even higher contribution towards your student loans of up to $5,250 per year.
- Slack offers legal services at no cost. This benefit is huge if you have yet to complete your estate planning documents or need to make updates.
- Duolingo offers a mortgage benefit of up to $10,000 for your first home in Pittsburgh.
- Google offers a one-on-one financial coaching program.
- T-Mobile offers a coaching program called LiveMagenta. They also provide gender-affirming services, including surgery and autism coverage, including Applied Behavioral Analysis services (ABA).
If giving back either with your money, time, or both is important to you, here are some benefits to factor into your charitable planning strategy.
- Google and Apple employees receive a 100% match of charitable contributions up to $10,000.
- Microsoft and Linkedin match charitable contributions up to $15,000.
- Netflix will double your charitable contributions up to $20,000!
- Salesforce employees are eligible to take up to 7 days of paid volunteer time off per year. They also have the ability to win a $10,000 grant to give to the nonprofit organization of their choice (if they rank as one of the top 100 volunteers).
- Microsoft and Apple employees receive $25 per hour to volunteer.
Other unique benefits
- Google, Linkedin, and Microsoft offer on-site car washing and detailing. You can go into work with a dirty car and leave looking fly.
- If you just got a new pet and want to take some time off, Reddit offers one week of paid leave to spend time with your new pet.
- Need assistance completing all your errands? Slack offers concierge and errand running while you work.
Tech companies will offer extensive benefits and perks to retain top talent and stay competitive. If you’re evaluating job offers, make sure to look at the full benefits package. You can use this information to compare competing offers during your negotiations.